Wednesday 17 June 2020

Waste Not Want Not.

Dear reader you do know I love all things thrifty and mostly I only hand over hard earned money when I'm receiving a bargain in return.

Now, I do like to share any little gems I've spied, on my blog. Not because I have any links to the sellers, it's simply I like to share things that may bring a little (discounted) joy.


I receive a marvellous weekly newsletter from Martin Lewes who is a wizard at managing moolah. If you do not subscribe to it already through his money saving expert website, may I suggest you do.  His many nuggets of wisdom have saved us a lot of money over time and helped us make financial decisions.

Today he highlighted the supermarket special offers for veg and fruit boxes. About time the supermarkets started to do this. I shop at various big food stores and Morrisons have for a time sold 'wonky' veg at reasonable prices. Although I have to say sometimes the produce is not as fresh as it should be.

Whilst I'm picking bones, I might also add I'm not best pleased with Sainsburys, who despite the fact I've been spending heaps more during lockdown, have not issued any money saving coupons or double/triple points coupons during the whole of the lockdown. Shame on them, taking advantage of their regular customers.

Anyhoo, I was very impressed with this Lidl offer.


5Kg of fruit and veg for £1.50. Edible but not perfect, slightly past its best before date. All types of fruit and veg, some more exotic than others. A good rootle around and I think you could pick up a box that would provide quite a few meals. I believe they are only available early on in the day then anything left unsold is donated to good local causes.

If we stopped wasting and discarding so much the planet would be a lot happier. And so would I.





6 comments:

  1. Now they are a real bargain!!

    But you do have to be there at opening time as I believe they all get snapped up very quickly.

    What a good idea though to avoid supermarket food waste. They are selling off fruit and veg that is slightly past it's best AND letting their regular customers grab a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very encouraging isn't it. I hope more retailers follow suit at a a similar price, perfect for families on a budget, and no waste, I love it.

      Delete
  2. I believe the Lidl boxes are really great value. Its just a shame my nearest one is over 25 miles away. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't often shop at Lidls as my nearest one is about 30 minutes from me, but I do pop in sometimes. I like their bags of nuts and coffee capsules and of course their Muesli. I did visit a Waitrose recnetly and actually found their prices pretty similar to Sainsburys which is our nearest supermarket. Just goes to show shopping around pays dividends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am finding the same thing...I have spent hundreds at one local grocer and they have suspended store coupons and bonus offers during Covid lockdown. They were paying their employees an extra $2 an hour but decided to stop the pay increase last week. Meanwhile their profits are up 20-40% from this time last year.

    ReplyDelete

Beltane Blessings My Lovely Chums

This lovely Beltane image from one of my fav designers, Wendy Andrew. She can be found at www.paintingdreams.co.uk I have bought quite a f...