Thursday 12 June 2014

Simple Pleasures



I have a queueing system at the moment for the projects I would like to tackle. This week I repainted an old 1950s magazine rack as I wanted something stylish and period to store my Long Players in. It's a nice glossy black now with squeaky clean bright red plastic ball feet, you know the kind I mean.

Next on the list is the ghastly orange pine trio of small tables that I got from one of my local chazzas. They are a perfect size for drinks and nibbles, and will fit nicely alongside my sofas without taking up to much space. Then a big project, to strip and decorate a chest of drawers, that's gonna be a very dusty job, yuk.
Then repaint a small rocking chair and yarn bomb a big stuffed toy goat.

When all that is done we will probably be in the depths of Winter. Perfect time of year to make a soft toy. I bought this beautiful kit from Alicia Poulson, who is based in Portland USA. Some of you may be familiar with her delightfully heart warming ,blog Posie Gets Cosy. The materials are top notch and everything has been thought through. Step by step instructions with coloured images, full size patterns and every little thing needed has been provided. I'm especially looking forward to using the Liberty Tana Lawn fabrics, and trying my hand at some fine embroidery.

I'm really pleased that the tiny Lavender plugs that I planted out last year are just starting to flower and spread across our little garden path that runs along the back of the house. The plants share the bed with our Roses. I cut them back almost to the ground a few weeks ago, as Monty Don told me to, and they are growing strongly and look mighty healthy.


We've settled on a place for this small bust, a replica from one at Charleston Farmhouse, and I love the way the Rosebuds are beginning to wind around his face. Simple pleasures.

A warm welcome to my latest Google Friend Connect follower Lyn. I can't tell you how much pleasure it gives me to see my numbers growing and to be able to see who is connecting with me. It's starting to feel like a real community.

10 comments:

  1. Ooh i have lists and more lists..LOVEyour header Jean..
    Off to read about sweet little bear..
    I just know tis gonna be sad!
    Hugs Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey Jean it`s yonks since I heard the term long players I assume you mean LP`s if it does you have just given your approx. age away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. I put Long Players because I thought there might be some folk too young to know what an LP was.

      Delete
  3. Lots and lots of work in progress over here too! But I am so jealous of your beautiful lavender border, it looks like it has grown a lot if they were only plugs last year. Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they have. I have nurtured them, not over watered them, and they have had lots of space and light. I want them to spill right over the path so as we brush against them they will release their beautiful perfume.
      Jean x

      Delete
  4. Oh dear - I used to have lists, but now I just shrug & think, "It's too late now!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe that for a minute Nilly :)

      Jean x

      Delete
  5. I love the old brick path and lavender also. Very pretty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily we got the old red bricks from free cycle, so all they cost was a bit of elbow grease to clean them up and lay them.

      Jean x

      Delete
  6. I know I was supposed to be looking at your lavender and roses, indeed they look very healthy (I think I bought the same lavender tidlers for my 'lavender border' and willed them to grow!) but the blue frames against the cream painted brick looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Time Travelling

On our way to Mr. Straw's house the Mr and I popped along to take a look at Clumber Park. It is a 3,800 acre estate set within Sh...