Saturday 1 April 2023

Super Scrimpy Skinflint Misers

Back in the day when the uppercrust took tea, it was usually after dinner, ladies preferred tea and the gentlemen drank coffee. Tea was a very expensive commodity and the leaves were kept locked away in a fancy caddy.
After the leaves were used for the first time they were passed on to the servants for them to make their own tea, then after that they were apparently scattered on rugs to help clean them. I'm not so sure about this last claim as I think used leaves may well have stained the rugs. Anyway I've brought the subject of tea up because I want to ask all you lovely folk about your use of tea. Bag or loose? Do you use the teabag more than once? I have become even more of a skinflint miser and I now save my early morning green teabag and use it to make a pot of tea in the afternoon by adding another slightly stronger Earl Grey bag and it works a treat. I'm hoping to encourage all the people who visit my blog to tell me if you use a tea bag more than once. Yes or No? This last picture is actually me enjoying my double brewed tea.

11 comments:

  1. Ha ha...LOVE that last picture!! Ummm, I'm no help to you as I am not a tea drinker. (Well, in the summer I do love a good sun tea and for that I use tea bags - but, no, I do not reuse them. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great painting, my silly blog wouldn't let me caption the pics. The painting of me drinking a brew is Teatotalism by Edward Bird c 1795.

      Delete
    2. I love it! Thanks for the info on it!

      Delete
  2. I don't drink tea any longer - used to drink gallons of the stuff. However, I always use tea leaves when I make tea for others. I
    Yes, dried tea leaves were used to sweep carpets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for confirming the leaves cleaning properties. It's interesting.

      Delete
  3. I love that last picture. We don't drink much tea, but when we do, I don't reuse the bags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last picture is hilarious!
    Anyway, Belgium isn't a nation of tea drinkers. I do drink 1 cup of ginger and lemon tea in the morning and 1 cup of Chamomile tea at night, using tea bags, which I'm only using once. I wonder if that makes me a spendthrift? Loving the post title, by the way! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to drink more herbal and fruit tea now so only use the bag once. When I did drink black tea I would use it more than once because I only liked weak tea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a herbal tea drinker and use loose herbs in a teapot, I often make more than one pot from the herbs. My husband drinks black tea and uses leaves to make his tea.

    I remember Ruth Goodman using tea leaves for cleaning in one of the farm programmes she was involved in. Think it was victorian farm, she sprinkled them on the stairs before sweeping them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be true then about the cleansing tea leaves. I too love fresh herb drinks. Very good for our health and pocket.

      Delete

Beltane Blessings My Lovely Chums

This lovely Beltane image from one of my fav designers, Wendy Andrew. She can be found at www.paintingdreams.co.uk I have bought quite a f...