Tuesday 7 February 2023

Tromso Norway A Little Review Part 1 - The Reindeers

 






Hello lovely blogging chums, we are back from Norway safe and sound and relishing the sun and daylight in Blighty in a way I never thought possible. Whilst we were there the sun did peek over the horizon but at this time of year that's as much as it does and only for a few hours a day. Generally from late November till the beginning of February it is permanantly dark. The local folk seem to leave all their lights on almost all the time and it does create a warming twinkly glow albeit totally artificial. 

We were extremely lucky with the weather and the day of our reindeer experience was clear and dry. We had a sleigh ride for about 25 minutes which was so beautiful, tons of thick white snow made us glide almost silently through the landscape. We then had the opportunity to feed the sweet creatures, most of whom are pregnant at this time of year, and very hungry. 

Following on, we were priviledged to spend some time in a Sami dwelling around a blazing open fire listening to our young guide explain the history of the Sami people and the political struggles they have within their various homelands. Our outing was obviously a tourist event but I did feel I gained an understanding about the real life the modern Sami people live.



I'll be back soon with some more of Norway, (I don't want to make the posts too long). 

Can I also extend a warm welcome to a new follower Janice Cooke

13 comments:

  1. Oh how exciting, I look forward to more tales from Norway xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you for the welcome. I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed Norway. I would have been surprised if you hadn't! Beautiful photographs. I'm always surprised at how - relatively - small reindeer are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely does all that snow look! Norway is somewhere I would love to go so I'm looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a magical adventure! I have always had a soft spot for reindeer. We had a herd live not too far from us for a number of years and I would go out of my way to drive past the farm. And your header photo is glorious! Looking forward to your next adventure. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photographs - they make me want to go back to Norway. I am always surprised at how small reindeer are, lovely creatures that they are.
    Thank you for the warm welcome - so kind :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you with us on this blogging journey.

      Delete
  6. Wow, it looks amazing, I have always wanted to visited Norway particularly the north.

    ReplyDelete

Beltane Blessings My Lovely Chums

This lovely Beltane image from one of my fav designers, Wendy Andrew. She can be found at www.paintingdreams.co.uk I have bought quite a f...