Wednesday 15 February 2023

More Of Trolls & Tromso

 My lovely blogging chum, The Cranky Crow  who lives on the other side of the pond, tells me she had a great fondness for the toy trolls of the 1960s. I hadn't realised that Troll mania had started in the USA before we even got a glimpse of them in the UK.

A memorable holiday in Brightlingsea when I was but a wee child introduced me to the 'Dam' trolls. I was totally beguiled by them and had to have one at all costs. I must have mithered my parents incessantly and tantrumised on full power, because they acquiesced and bought me one. I was totally in love. 

I have just discovered their creator was a Danish chap, Thomas Dam who initially carved a troll toy for his daughter, way back in the 1940s, modelling it's ugly face on a local butcher to whom he owed money. Who knew? 

Over time he went into production of the Goodluck Trolls and earned a jolly good living.


Stories abound of the good luck these adorable creatures brought to folks lives. Including famously the troll who accompanied Betty Miller, the first female pilot to traverse the Pacific Ocean solo. On her return she took her faithful troll to The White House to meet JFK.



Unfortunately for Thomas Dam their good luck didn't extend to him, as he bungled the copyright registration of his creation and soon fell foul of imitators. Disillusioned he scaled back production to Denmark , where I hope he had made enough money to live well. 

You can tell I'm still smitten with these cheeky creatures eh? And of course I have been on Ebay looking for the original 1960s Dam Trolls since our return from Norway, where the only trolls that were available to buy there were horrible cheap things made in China.

Anyway enough of lucky trolls, let's get back to our Tromso trip.











The Mr and I had the best time in Tromso, we went with friends who knew the area well so that really helped. If any of you are thinking of going, I can recommend the orgainised trips, we did the Sami reindeer experience and also a Fjord cruise on a modern large windowed electric boat. Obviously it is snowy and cold and there is always a tremendous slip hazard, so attaching rubber spiked covers over your shoes is a must. Food and drink is hellishly expensive, but of course they can't grow a thing in the Winter climate, nearly everything must be imported. As an example 2 drinks and a pizza is around £70, and two Burger King meals around £25. We opted to book with a rather nice hotel where breakfast, afternoon Fika and dinner were included in the price, this is also a must in my opinion. 

12 comments:

  1. Food and drink are expensive but the air is like wine and the scenery outstanding. Add the friendliness of the Norwegians and no-one could ask for anything more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew nothing of the origins of the troll dolls until I read your post. Thank you so much for sharing that. I guess I never gave much thought to where they came from - I had grown up with the fairy tale "Three Billy Goats Gruff" and assumed someone clever had decided to bring that troll to "life" so to speak. My very first troll was a find... I had gone with my mother to pick up some meat we were having packaged at the butcher and on the highway I spotted something in the road and made my mother stop and go back. She ran out to get it and it was my first, very beautiful (to me), green-haired troll. Wonderful photos...those lights are fantastic. And while I love "jabblog"'s description, I don't think I could use a vacation to go someplace colder than Nod. We can at least grow some things. Good luck with your searches! ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a sweet story of how you found your beautiful green haired troll, not an accident I think. He was waiting for you.

      Delete
  3. My eldest daughter collected trolls when she was young, although I suspect they were the cheap ones made in China as apposed to the original ones, they were long ago assigned to the charity shop so I've no way of knowing.
    Your Norway trip looks amazing, we went to Iceland a few years ago and the food was just as expensive there, good job you booked your food and hotel all in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We visited Reykjavik a few years ago and missed out on the northern lights because of cloud. So we are super pleased we saw them in Norway.

      Delete
  4. This trip must have been quite an experience. Your last picture is magnificent but, my, it chills me to the bone. Now I am remembering the story, "Snow Treasure" which tells how a group of Norwegian children smuggled the country's gold bullion on sleds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we took the picture the temperature was -23 with the wind chill factor. Freezey but worth it.

      Delete
  5. I suspect the trolls I remember my sister having must have been cheap imitation ones and not the real stuff. I'm totally getting your fascination, though, then as well as now. Good luck on finding some originals on eBay. And thank you so much for sharing those wonderful photos of your Norwegian trip! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. I hope your holiday is still continuing nicely.

      Delete
  6. Gosh that is eyewateringly expensive food, it sounds like it as expensive as the Bahamas. It sounds like you have had a wonderful time in Norway, so glad you got to see the Northern lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was touch and go for a while, but Mother nature came up trumps.

      Delete

Beltane Blessings My Lovely Chums

This lovely Beltane image from one of my fav designers, Wendy Andrew. She can be found at www.paintingdreams.co.uk I have bought quite a f...