Monday 20 February 2023

MAC

 


The Mr and I popped down to the Art Club exhibition at The Midland Arts Centre last Monday. I loved it of course, the Mr not so much. He's more of a representational art kind of guy. 18th century sailing ships in full battle mode is his favourite thing. We almost missed the bulk of the exhibition as the in-house signage leaves a lot to be desired, so remember that if you are going.

I really enjoyed all the tv programmes and I've become quite the Grayson fan. The stories behind the art works were beautifully told by the artists themselves. They were brought to mind as I wandered through the galleries. 

Here is a small selection of  the works I most admired.
















And of course these thoughtful takes on modern life by the Perrys.




I envy Birmingham their Midland Arts Centre (mac). Gallaries, cinema, open air theatre, parkland, bars, restaurants, and space for courses and workshops. What a dream. Sadly nothing like that near to us, even though there are plenty of empty large heritage buildings that would fit the job very nicely. All down to the coin I'm afraid.

6 comments:

  1. What a nice outing you and the Mr. had. I believe that I, too, am more a representational art kind of person LOL...but I do love the Manchester women....and that plate (is that what it is?). It reminds me of the old transferware which I love. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Philippa Perry's take on the old Willow pattern. I thought the cat in the litter tray was very funny.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful Jean ... I liked all the artwork you have shown. I especially love the "Granny Gang" & their apple picking. I clicked on your photo & enlarged it so I could read all about them. We have art galleries & exhibitions in our nearest City - just over half an hour away. I should make an effort to visit them more often. Enjoy the week Jean. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds an enjoyable outing. Quite a mixture of styles. I liked the apple pickers, too - it would make a very pleasing jigsaw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that sounds very much up my street, Jean! I particularly like the Manchester women! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Beltane Blessings My Lovely Chums

This lovely Beltane image from one of my fav designers, Wendy Andrew. She can be found at www.paintingdreams.co.uk I have bought quite a f...