Sunday 30 March 2014

In Praise of Older Women

The Mister and I were in London last night, my was it busy and strangely very well lit. Most of the buildings around Piccadilly had enormous spot lights aimed at them and up them. It all looked a bit odd to me. I still remember going up to London on a Saturday night when I was in my teens, not surprisingly it was a very different place then. Last night it felt a bit 'Disneyfied'. Anyway I digress.

The reason for the trip was to see the adorable Anne Reid in cabaret. Not the play itself, rather an evening of song and deliciously funny story telling.

She was brilliant. And the venue was superb. A vision of Art Deco loveliness. The intimate room was wonderfully decorated with jazzy motifs and colours, had a gorgeous cocktail bar and the best thing of all - great seating.

Small round tables, just right for two couples, each lit by an individual red lamp. It was all very 'Fred and Ginger', if you get my drift.

We went early to eat in the Brasserie that is attached to the Crazy Coqs club. The food was very good, great value and the interior of the restaurant could compete with The Ritz in  it's polished opulence. We were astonished at the richness of it all, especially as it is all housed underground.







Crazy Coqs Jazz Club
Our next outing to London is already planned for April. When we will be off to The Gielgud Theatre to see Angela Lansbury in Blithe Spirit. I'm very excited about this. Although I don't know if she will be able to match Margaret Rutherford's portrayal of Madame Arcati in the film version.



Another favourite actress is also in the play, Jemima Rooper. It's a dead cert' I'm going to love every minute.

I suspect Miss Lansbury will also love every minute at The Gielgud as it has a family connection for her. Her mother who was also an actress debuted there in 1918. How amazing and a tiny bit marvellous (to quote Dawn French) that she is performing there herself and at the grand age of 88.

Lastly, Happy Birthday to Doris Day for April 3rd when she will be 90.















1 comment:

  1. Your evening sounds a lot of fun Jean and I know you're going to love Blithe Spirit. We saw it a couple of weeks ago and it was FAN-TAS-TIC!!! Angela Lansbury was excellent as were all of the actors and it was very funny. Best play we've seen in ages :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Morgana Extends A Warm Welcome To My Latest Followers

100 followers and counting. Thank you all.