Sunday 22 November 2020

A New Cellar On A Budget


 
Followers of old will remember we've spent the best part of three years renovating our house, but somehow we've never been able to spare the time to clean out and spruce up the cellar. Not until now that is. In my last post you saw this corner in its 'before' state, this is the same corner after lots of deep filler, sweepings and lashings of a rather lush paint called, aptly, Victorian White.

I hope you like my pantry cupboard, I'm thrilled with it. It is a 1930s wardrobe that was gifted to us via Freecycle. When the Mister went to pick it up, the rather nice gentlemen who was in his 70s, said he'd had it since he was a boy. And now after a lick of Annie Sloane paint it will be good for another 70 years. Inside are small compartments with such labels as, Sundries and Underwear. These now house my excess tins of food and jars, perfect for Christmas and making a good deal of space in our kitchen.





I'm afraid I neglected to take a bigger picture of the 'after' door, but you can just see it in the right of the picture, now a gorgeous shade of Farrow & Ball calamine pink. And who is this lady you might ask? Well she is the keeper of the cellar, Lady Daphne Agincourt, you will see she has her beady eyes on the stairs to the cellar, making sure nobody but me gets their little mitts on the Champagne.

All the paint used for the revamp apart from the white paint I already had, the mouse and cheese shelf trim was in my stash, purchased God knows where and when. So the whole job has cost peanuts, which dear reader is just how I like it. Improvising and using up bits and bobs around the house.

Another small 'improvement' yesterday was implemented after the Mister hit his head yet again on one of the four low door frames in the Victorian part of the house.


Again a nice piece of haberdashery from my stash. Pom pom trim which can be seen from both sides of the door. If this doesn't work I'll have to get some, 'Duck or Grouse' signs made.

Happy weekend all.



10 comments:

  1. That will give you so much extra storage space. I've just put a box of bits and bobs I've bought for Christmas in a box in the porch as I need room in my kitchen cupboards for other things, I could do with a cellar myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our previous house we too had a cellar, we never renovated it, I still miss that house so much. I have a wardrobe exactly like yours :-) When we bought this house the owner was going to get rid of it but I asked her to leave it, it's still in the garage, my husband would like to chuck it but I can't bring myself too it's so cute with all the shelf labels. Perhaps one day i'll do what you've done with yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its really useful and looks good i think. And cost nowt.

      Delete
  3. Great transformation!!! I love, love, love those old plaster walls....and that cupboard!!! What a find was that?!! Lady Daphne is eerily mesmerizing....do tell, what is the rest of her story??? Any connection to the Battle of Agincourt?? (Sorry if that is an ignorant question, but that is the only "Agincourt" I am familiar with LOL.) Such a pretty kitty.... I have a real weakness for kitties. Hope your weekend was good to you! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robin, thank you for leaving a comment, it's nice to hear from you. The old plaster walls and curved ceiling still had traces of an old fashioned Victorian remedy for preventing damp. It was the most amazing hue, a vivid blue. It was a shame to cover it, but I did leave some parts of the old walls exposed to show the history.You would love the stone stairs that have deep groves in them where folk have walked upon them through the years. I'm not sure about Lady Daphne's story, she has only seen fit to let me know her name so far. If I discover more I will let you know. Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good useable cellar is a real bonus. Most cellars I've had have been creepy and uninviting; the sort that might have chains hanging from the walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't very nice, but now I'm really loving it. Especially as we're having a chest freezer delivered tomorrow. Shows how exciting my life is at the moment, I'm excited about a chest freezer.

      Delete
  6. Well done with the cellar, and I do like your last photograph.
    Kitty sitting pretty :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

My Journey To Health - A Morning Walk

Up early this morning, bedlinen on the line, yes the weather is holding. Booked my Zumba class for Monday week, you have to get up early to ...