Tuesday 30 March 2021

St. Helen's Church Another Peek.


 



A few more images from our local church. One of my lovely followers Robin, asked me about the stones around the ancient Yew. So in answer to her question, none of the stones relate to individuals, they are commemorative, battles and such.

But look at the wonderful stone coffin lids that are embedded in the church porch. They are mostly Anglo Saxon and Medieval. They completely blow me away. In the top picture the middle lid has a strange looking animal carved on it. Horse? Dog? Dragon? who knows? But glorious nonetheless.

The bottom picture is a close up of the Trunk of the ancient yew. I love how the organic colours have aged, similarly the coffin lids as well. I have also just learned the church has a large Burne Jones stained glass window, I have seen it before of course but didn't know it's provenance. When I'm allowed back inside I will capture the sun streaming through and post it here.

8 comments:

  1. Ahhhh....thank you dear Jean!!! I have thought about the yew and the stones several times since you posted about it last. It has a hold on my imagination I guess. And those coffin stones!!!!!!! Oh.MY!!!!!! I can't believe it!! How incredible are those??!!! You are fortunate to live in a country so steeped in fascinating history. Our history is so "new" comparatively speaking. And yes, I so agree about the colors.... ❤️ ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin, glad you spotted the post. It's a wonderful church. My friend used to ring the bells there.
      Jean

      Delete
  2. History is so fascinating is't it, we are lucky that so many things are still here for us to wonder about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are indeed .The older I get the more interested in history I become. Have a good Easter.
      Jean.
      x

      Delete
  3. Looks like a horse to me! I wonder what the four circles represent! Amazing coffin stones, the right one looks like a Celtic Cross. Happy Easter Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are wonderful things, they seem to reach out of the past. Strangely moving. Jean. x

      Delete
  4. There's such a lot of history in churches and in the churchyards too. It's amazing to think how old those stone coffin lids are. Mick thinks I'm a bit weird as I love looking at the gravestones, I could spend hours reading the names and ages of those who belonged to the parish, it sets my mind wondering about the people who have gone before.

    ReplyDelete

Morgana Extends A Warm Welcome To My Latest Followers

100 followers and counting. Thank you all.