Last Saturday I took the train to the dreaded Manchester to attend an event and to catch up with my lovely son. He has lived in Manchester for many years so I have been often. I do love the galleries and some of the eateries but oh my gosh the noise and the behaviour in the streets. I came home feeling he needed rescuing, I feel he wouldn't agree. Ah my, the generation gap.
For some strange reason I had been invited to attend a meet up for Miniml customers. I have been slowly swopping up my 'normal' household cleaning and washing products for ones supplied by Miniml. The products are fabulous and not only do a good job, are value for money but also make me feel as though I'm protecting my and my family's health. I did a lot of research when I decided to opt for a better choice of household products, Miniml came up trumps.Anyhoo the event was great fun. A small mixed group of customers were asked to select some new fragrances for future products. We could then make a candle holder, (the event was held in a small pottery), which we could choose to have filled with a candle made with our favourite fragrance. The Miniml team were super nice and they will send me my candle once the pot has been fired.
It doesn't look very exciting I know, but the clay had already been marbled through with different pigments, so no additional decoration was needed. The potter helping us said the different tones would be revealed after it had been in the kiln. I'll show you it once it arrives. I'm going to be saving it for Christmas, very exciting.
I also made a new artistic discovery this week, an artist who I had never seen before. I'm smitten.
![]() |
Gary Bunt (1957-2025) born in East Peckham. A musician, an artist and so much more. His paintings have bundles of quintessential British charm. How have I never found him before?





Well I'm from Manchester and used to work in the city centre, loving the hustle and bustle, but even I wouldn't live there now. I think I've literally turned into a country mouse. Those paintings are beautiful. isn't Gary Bunt's artwork just lovely, I do like nice simplistic artworks, lots of detail but very simply done.
ReplyDeleteI've been down his rabbit hole since I discovered him. He lived in a village where my best friend rang the church bells, a church apparently he visited every day. Small world.
DeleteI love those paintings, so simple, yet saying so much. I too disappeared down a rabbit hole looking at his work. Apaarently he painted to escape his torment (cancer). I hate large cities now, yet as a teenager dreamed of living and working in London. We lived in a very rural village at the time. I now love living on the edge of Belper which is such a fabulous small town. Xx
ReplyDeleteWe love Belper, lots and lots going on.
DeleteThank you for sharing these Gary Bunt paintings . . . I like them.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
I'm so glad you like his work Jan.
DeleteI've certainly heard of Manchester...but am not whatsoever familiar with it or why it would be so distressing and dreaded? Your little pot is sweet! I can't wait to see it completely fired and finished. Mine certainly would have been canted in some way and wonky in many more. Charming artwork!
ReplyDeleteAh well I dread visiting Manchester because it always feels a bit edgy to me. Lots and lots of bars and clubs in the central part which is where my son lives. Full on with lots of loud and boozy folk in the streets. Shouting and often abusive behaviour going on. It just makes me feel very uncomfortable, but then I do live in a forest so not surprising really.
Delete