Friday 29 March 2024

A Discovery

I discovered this book in one of my local charity shops, stuck together with some nasty brown sellotape, since removed thankfully. It was the cover that caught my eye. Although I have been clearing out a substantial amount of books pre-move, I am also purchasing any 'special' ones that I find. As I have decided that I would really love a small cosy reading room/library in our new house. The book by Betty Macdonald tells the tale of her island life with her second husband and two teenage daughters, published in 1955 it is set in the war years. It is really funny, in a similar vein to the E.M. Delafield book The Diary of a Provincial Lady. I have since found out she has written several other books, which I hope to track down. Here is the lady herself. I think she has a real look of mischief about her.

10 comments:

  1. I always enjoy looking at the books in charity shops you never know quite what you will find.
    This book sounds very good, and I do like the cover.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You find the most intriguing old books. And, yes, she does have a look of mischief about her. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky to have a large local shop that has heaps of good secondhand books. I've donated loads to them too. They are super nice folk, raising funds for a breast cancer charity.

      Delete
  3. I seem to remember reading something by Betty MacDonald, but it wasn't the one you've got. It's good to find an author who amuses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I wasn't familiar with Betty Macdonald, I would have snapped up that book. There's something about old books which appeals to me. And yes, the lady herself has a real look of mischief! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound like a wonderful find. It'll be a mission now you've enjoyed this one to find more from this author.

    ReplyDelete

A Thrifty Tale How To Save Money With Boots No7 Deals & Offers

I use some of the Boots company No 7 beauty skin care range. I was very excited to receive an email a couple of weeks back to say that if I ...