Sunday 9 July 2023

Wentworth Woodhouse Visit

I went on a jolly day out on Thursday with some old work chums, to a very grand stately home just over an hours drive from me. Wentworth Woodhouse is not in the best of condition, but it was quite lovely in its way. The owners are on the cusp of beginning an ambitious restoration project, to protect the house but also to give it a new more modern life. It will be interesting to see what happens. We had a leisurely stroll around the house and the gardens and also got to see a temporary Grayson Perry exhibition, which is on till early September. 'The Vanity of Small differences'. We stumbled upon a visitor playing he's pipes in the garden, it felt very magical. I made a small film of his music but bloomin Blogger won't allow me to upload it. We heard the mellifluous tones arising from a small glade and then we found him, with his little white hat and many musical pipes. We had a long chat with him and learnt much of musical things.

13 comments:

  1. What a nice trip you had - and no rain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rain. It was perfect weather, sunny with a breeze.

      Delete
  2. I loved joining you on your trip to Wentworth Woodhouse and pipe music always makes me emotional. What luck you were able to take in that Greyson Perry exhibition! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a fan of most of his things, it was lovely to get close up to his work with no crowds.

      Delete
  3. What a grand old house she must have been! Try as I might, and despite much reading of life in such properties, I simply cannot comprehend what it truly must have been like. Just visiting would take my breath away. How magical to have stumbled upon the music and its maker. I am totally bummed that we do not get to see your video! Pouting.... ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bottom lip is out too. Blogger seems to do everything with paragraphs of long codes now, even just uploading images and won't allow me to space my text out. Every now and then I try to sort it out but don't seem to make any progress. I'll try and get the video up gain and see how I get on.

      Delete
  4. I live about 40 minutes away and have never been - I thought when I retired I would have so much leisure time to go on visits but that has not been the case so far! Renishaw Hall near Chesterfield often has hidden muscians playing in the gardens it is so lovely to hear the music floating across the shrubberies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thanks for stopping by. Funnily enough I'm off to the Renishaw gardens next week.

      Delete

  5. What a wonderful Stately Home to visit Jean ... I just loved your photos & how special to hear the pipes being played in the Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had plans for a new shed in my garden that would incorporate a 'theatre' for auriculas, I regret that the plan depends (now) on a large Premium Bond win.
    Isn't it funny how some places so close don't get visited. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by Lesley and good luck with the premium bonds win.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doesn't it look magnificent, as you say, it will be interesting to see how the restoration project goes, and how long that takes. Nice to be able to get out and explore the gardens too, it looks like you had a fine day for it.

    ReplyDelete

Beltane Blessings My Lovely Chums

This lovely Beltane image from one of my fav designers, Wendy Andrew. She can be found at www.paintingdreams.co.uk I have bought quite a f...