Wednesday 25 January 2023

Of Cherry Fancies & Witches.

 I have had an interesting  witchy few weeks. Now I know there are some dark souls in this world but my personal interest is in the misunderstood hedge witch and white witch. Those folk who lived and live side by side with nature in a perfectly pleasing symbiotic fashion. Happily I count some close friends in this circle and it is in a way something I aspire to be better at myself. Mother Nature has all the answers if only we are prepared to listen to her.

Picture Essex in the 1640s, a young man Matthew Hopkins proclaims himself Witchfinder General. But is he on a Godly or self empowerment mission? Well I think we all know the answer to that. 

On a cold and frosty evening recently the fabulous Lesley Smith, curator of Tutbury Castle told my friends and I the story of the Witch of Manningtree, and how she and many others fell foul of said Witchfinder General. It was an extraordinary moving powerful account with Lesley in the character of the witch. A dark story based on true events, not sensationalised, it was a deeply respectful and informative performance. Although afterwards during questions, Lesley did allow us a glimpse of her wicked sense of humour.


This is a pic of Lesley in her day job. An English scholar, historian, heritage publicist and actress. She holds amongst other things an M Phil in Tudor medicine. An astonishing woman who presents costumed portrayals of a variety of historical characters. I urge you to follow the link to the Tutbury Castle website and see for yourself  what is on offer.

Lesley as Katherine Swynford.

A few days later I went on a 'journey' around the small but enchanting Museum of Icelandic Sorcery and Witchcraft, via Eventbrite. A personal and interesting tour taken by the manager of the museum, with a close look at exhibits and history of the poor, mostly men, accused of witchcraft and who inevitably were burnt to death.

The idea for the museum was conceived by a local Folklorist and Historian, really as a way to encourage visitors to explore Iceland, but also I think to preserve local folklore.

One particular exhibit caused a bit of a stir, Necropants. The flayed lower half of a man worn over your own body and under your trousers. The idea being, by placing a coin in the scrotum whilst going about your daily business, like you do, the coins would magically increase. 


I have chosen a modest image here, but suffice it to say all the equipment needed to double your money was in tact. If you click on the museum link above you can explore a bit more and there is an option for translation to English

And finally in a caution to the wind moment, I have ordered some wonderful, but expensive cherry fondant fancies from Betty's. We're visiting some family down south and I thought these would be a nice thing to take. Apologies in advance, as I know you'll all want to order some now.


Looking at the last two images on this blog post, you can't say it doesn't have it all. Keep warm and well blogging chums.





11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, and you're right about those last two images!
    Both the story of the Witch of Manningtree and the Icelandic Sorcery and Witchcraft museum sound truly fascinating, and I'll definitely be having a peek at the latter's website.
    I too count one or two white witches among my acquaintances and it's a subject that has always intrigued me. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my friend, you certainly will keep me busy for a bit exploring all these new names. I am not familiar with the Witch of Manningtree or Matthew Hopkins. Definitely will be exploring! And what a fascinating person Lesley is! I can only imagine long...very long...conversations on a variety of topics with her. And...hmmmm...can't say I am familiar with the lore regarding multiplying coins. Intriguing way of effecting the task LOL. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin, intriguing indeed. I'm gonna sound sexist, but, only a man would think necropants up.

      Delete
  3. My goodness, I've never heard of necropants before, presumably it was discovered that they didn't work. Oooh, I love Betty's, we passed by the shop in Northallerton at the weekend but I managed to resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can resist Betty's? Maybe you have special powers, ha ha.

      Delete
  4. What a fascinating post, thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete

Beltane Blessings My Lovely Chums

This lovely Beltane image from one of my fav designers, Wendy Andrew. She can be found at www.paintingdreams.co.uk I have bought quite a f...