Friday 9 April 2021

Eighteenth Century Girl.

 I had intended to show you a few more pictures of my craft room, including the now installed rickety table, but the weather is so gloomy and the light so bad in that room I'll wait a wee while longer.

The light in our largest spare bedroom is a little better, so I thought I would show you my fab wall art. Botticelli's Birth of Venus, the Goddess of love and beauty, born of the sea spray and blown along by the winds of Cyprus. The real painting is of course in the Uffizi gallery in Florence. I have visited her there many times, she is one of my most favourite works of art.


This room was completed a while ago now and I'm still very happy with the look and feel of it. It is quite a deep room so it can easily take a big image and it absolutely lifts the room up to another level. The colours are amazing. I wonder what Botticelli would have thought about his work being so easily and faithfully reproduced and being hung in many, many people's homes. I like to think he would have approved.

I'm not so happy with our bed room. When we moved in here about four years ago I hurriedly decorated it. I recycled some curtains I had made for our previous house and chose a pretty wallpaper which unfortunately has already faded. A lesson learnt about buying the best you can afford and so only buying and in this case only decorating once.


It has an okay look about it but recently I have found myself wanting to upgrade the look and feel of it, to a more luxurious, more period feel, in short something with a bit more charm. Apropos of that I have developed fairly recently a penchant for everything eighteenth century. The seed of which I think was planted with my discovery of the Outlander series of books written by Diana Gabaldon.

In the last few months I have been collecting inspirational images on my bedroom makeover18th century pinterest board. It has helped me percolate my ideas. 

I have already purchased a bloomin enormous oil painting of an eighteenth century garden, which I'm hoping positioned next to our bedroom window, will give the impression of another window to the outside.


My intention was to redecorate the room this Summer, but something rather wonderful and unexpected has happened, which has meant I have the chance to start a bit earlier. 

I will reveal all shortly.







4 comments:

  1. That is a fabulous room the Birth of Venus is spectacular. I could easily while away the hours admiring that and looking at all the detail! I do look forward to seeing how you redecorate your bedroom :-) I like your house. keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you definitely need the right space to hang a large painting such as you've got there, you must be pleased that your room is able to take one of your favourites. You've got me intrigued now, looking forward to your reveal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work is progressing well, although it will have to be done in stages. I'll post probably on Thursday. Jean. x

      Delete

My Journey To Health - A Morning Walk

Up early this morning, bedlinen on the line, yes the weather is holding. Booked my Zumba class for Monday week, you have to get up early to ...