Wednesday 6 January 2021

Yew Trees

 

A friend shared this image today with me and in turn I wanted to share it with you. Two ancient Yew trees flanking the doorway of the medieval church of St. Edward in Stow on the Wold. Said to have inspired J.R.R.Tolkien's 'Doors of Durin' in the lord of the rings.


 Another view from the front. I think the trees are wonderful. We have an ancient yew in our local church yard of St.Helen's, thought to be over 2000 years old with a girth of 33 feet. 

The yew was of great importance in the pagan religion, and it's obvious that these Christian churches were built on pagan sites to encourage pagans to adopt the Christain religion.

So naturally powerful.



4 comments:

  1. Oh! Those trees are absolutely magical!! When I first glimpsed the photo, they somewhat reminded me of huge lion paws guarding the glorious door. We don't have them here in Nod. How I wish! Please do share a photo of the one in your churchyard if you can! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a wonderful door! I dont know if you saw my post where I mention one of my hobbies is to photograph doors. There is just something about a hefty door,a splendid door,a majestic door that delights me. This one would definitely be at the top of my list. The trees are of course the sentinels that guard the entrance....fabulous!!! keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete

Beltane Blessings My Lovely Chums

This lovely Beltane image from one of my fav designers, Wendy Andrew. She can be found at www.paintingdreams.co.uk I have bought quite a f...