Tuesday 12 January 2021

A Thrifty Mirror

 Hello lovely chums, I thought I would show you one of the projects I've been working on during the last few weeks.

I did start working on it in our garage but the weather has been so perishing cold I brought it into the house to paint. Much to Morgana's delight as you can imagine.

I had been looking for an unusual large mirror for the dining room for some time. I really love the gilt 18th century ones but they come with a hefty price tag.

This one is for sale at £650. But some run into thousands.

Of course my house is not a grand 18th century country house, rather a marriage of Victorian stone with 20th century extensions. It has to be said it is not the prettiest of houses, but I grow to love it more and more.

The Victorian mirror I found on Ebay had been purchased by a local couple, well over 20 years ago, when they were on a motorcycling holiday in the UK. Found in an Antique shop, they had it sent to them and it arrived very badly damaged. They had fixed it up a bit but you could see the cracks and mended breaks in the dark wood.

It was my lucky day when they decided to sell it. I secured it for £10.




I started by giving the wood a good rub down and clean. Then using left over paint from my kitchen, I gave the mirror a coat of white paint, then two coats of a nice dark cream. Once they were all well dry I took some sand paper and 'distressed' the paint work slightly. I finished it off with some champagne coloured gilding wax. I'm very pleased with it and it works very well in my dining room.



11 comments:

  1. What a bargain! Well done, on both finding it and the work you have done. It looks beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find...and amazing transformation. It is GORGEOUS!! (And looks right at home in what I see reflected of your beautiful home!) ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mirror turned out beautifully Jean!!! Well done you - I love it & what a transformation. It looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a find! It is fabulous and I love the shape of this mirror. You have restored it to perfection and it looks so at home on that wall. I like what I see in the mirror too :-) keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great job you've made of it, and at just a fraction of the cost of the first one in your post. I actually prefer the shape of yours, more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jean,

    Well, you have worked wonders on the mirror.

    It is difficult when things are restored to get a balance between looking good and looking too perfect. You have found the perfect mix. The colour is so pretty and the touch of gilding a masterstroke. It certainly looks like a million dollars worth now. Indeed, perhaps the motorcycle couple would not even recognise it and would buy it back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much for your kind comments and a warm welcome to the blog.

      Delete

Morgana Extends A Warm Welcome To My Latest Followers

100 followers and counting. Thank you all.