Friday 16 July 2021

Fun Day - Eco Printing

 My lovely neighbour Karin who is a bit of a craft Goddess invited me down to her mid century modern house the other day for some sensational crafty work and lunch. 


This is the view from her studio, which she had built over the lockdown. It's a wonderful space and so colourful. She even has an enormous shocking pink Smeg fridge. 


Over the last year she has dabbled in many new crafts and invited me to have a go at eco printing, after I admired some of her earlier efforts.


Eco printing, what's that? I hear you ask. Well let me tell you all about it's wonders. It is a direct contact method of printing flowers, leaves and even tea leaves onto cloth. It's very organic and a tiny bit magical because it is impossible to tell what colours will emerge from the process. Using mordants, (don't you just love that word?), moisture, heat and ph modifiers, in this case vinegar, the shapes and colours are imparted onto your choice of material. 

I started with a blank silk scarf that had been soaked in a vinegar preparation over night. Laid flat I added my leaves, flower heads and buds in a most attractive artistic way, even if I say so myself. Added just a sprinkling of Darjeeling leaves alone the bottom edges, covered it with some cotton cloth, then rolled it up, bound it in string, then popped it into a huge steamer, for a couple of hours. Leaving plenty of time for a leisurely lunch and huge gossip, perfect!



This is my silk scarf drying in the sun. I left it for a few days then gave it a gentle wash and pressed it whilst still a little damp. I'm super pleased with it and the added bonus is that the cotton cloth it was rolled up with also has the most wonderful shapes on it. I'm thinking I might create some napkins to gift to a friend. 

Creative days are just the best and Karin was very generous with her time and expertise. A joyful day.



8 comments:

  1. Oh...my.... I do believe, at times, that I was meant to live in the UK....the vistas are something some of us only conjure in our dreams and imaginations. Just glorious!! And I had to laugh when you said you loved the word "mordant"... When I saw the title of your post, I knew immediately what you were up to (there are a few other bloggers I am familiar with who also do this type of dyeing) and I immediately thought "I wonder what she used for a mordant." Yes, there is something intriguing, mysterious and "ancient" about that word. Your scarf turned out lovely!! Please do show us the napkins should you make them. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Robin, I think you'll have to visit the UK, you would have a blast. And I could help you with an itinerary.
      Best
      Jean

      Delete
  2. Wow! Lovely day, friend, surroundings, and results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous view! Actually that doesn't look too difficult to do! I always thought dyeing was complicated. Your silk scarf is quite spectacular! keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Amanda, I'm planning on taking my silk scarf on holiday with me to The Scilly Isles, to wear with my white T shirts. Jean. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, your scarf is beautiful! Well done. Creative days really are the best, along with generous friends. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mrs. T. I'm looking forward to more creative days as my local needlecraft group are re-opening in September and I'm going to join them. Jean. x

      Delete

A Thrifty Tale How To Save Money With Boots No7 Deals & Offers

I use some of the Boots company No 7 beauty skin care range. I was very excited to receive an email a couple of weeks back to say that if I ...