Saturday 27 February 2021

An Ancient Yew In A Special Spot.

 A bit of an unusual post today. It's in response to the delightful Robin @ The Cranky Crow Blog . I mentioned an ancient yew tree in the grounds of our local church in a previous post and she asked for a picture.


At the time I thought the tree was about 2000 years old, which is what it also says on this information board at the site of the tree. But recently whilst attending a funeral service at the church , the Reverend Monk said they had discovered it was nearer 4000.

It really is a wonderful thing to behold.


The churchyard is pretty special too. Serene and beautiful in it's own way.




6 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful! I so love to see these old trees! How about that 4000 years old...awesome...that was the Bronze Age wow!! I bet that tree is well cared for! keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love finding things like this out, history is all around us if we take the time to look. I love walking around church yards too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely spot, full of bird song and very peaceful.
      Jean
      x

      Delete
  3. THANK YOU, dear Jean, for doing this for me!!! (And my apologies for my tardiness in getting here...but, you know, that "internet" snafu had me quite at odds.) That tree is grander than I could even conjure in my imagination....And, oh, to have one's final rest at its feet...! Are the graves within the fenced area immediately surrounding the tree of special significance?? Does anyone know who is laid to rest there?? My apologies for the seemingly endless questions from me, but this is like having a peek into something majestic and magical for me. Thank you again!! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Robin, I'm so glad you enjoyed the pictures. I don't know very much about the stones within the fence, except to say that some are commemorative, I think for war time battle sites. Next time I'm there I'll take a closer look for you and see what I can discover. It is a majestic and magical place so I understand your curiosity. The Mr and I took a walk to some local standing stones last week, the circle is called the nine ladies and sits high up on the moorlands that are just above where we live. We are surrounding by natural beauty here and an awful lot of history, relating both to the landscape and the folk that have lived here over the millennia. Jean. x

      Delete

Beltane Blessings My Lovely Chums

This lovely Beltane image from one of my fav designers, Wendy Andrew. She can be found at www.paintingdreams.co.uk I have bought quite a f...