Saturday 7 October 2023

Domestic Goddess

I've come over all Domestic Goddess. At the same time I've set my Autumnal mind to even less wastage and more mindful spending and not just with food and so forth, doing okay so far. I have made my 'compost' jelly, using up lemon and orange peel primarily, destined for the compost bin but via the freezer first whilst I collected the 2kg I needed to make the jelly. When I say jelly, not as firm as a jam, tastes like a marmalade, no rind and very clear. It was not without it's problems but I'll let you know more of that later. Using up the tomato crops for soups and making delicious meals in the slo cooker, Afelia (Greek dish using pork, coriander seeds and rose wine). And last night Beef Bourguignon, both hearty dishes incorporating our home grown onions, celery, potatoes and bay leaves.
What's cooking with you folks?

10 comments:

  1. Ugh...I absolutely LOVE Boeuf Bourguignon!! I bet yours was spectacular. I'm curious to hear more about your compost jelly. It's cold and dreary here in Nod, so I'm doing chicken noodle soup for dinner...and plan on making some babka tomorrow. Love me some babka. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babka was a new one on me, but it looks super tasy on Mr Google's pages.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, your soups look so savory and perfect for a winter’s day. I love your thoughts on less wastage. I am on the front row for that! Hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes us thrifty folk are a world wide family methinks.

      Delete
  3. That looks mouthwateringly delicious, Jean. Intrigued about the "compost" jelly ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you're making the most out of every scrap. We, as a society, throw so much away these days, our grandparents would be horrified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jo. The older I get the more mindful I become about waste of any kind. It really is no hardship and feels very satisfying and the right thing to do.

      Delete

Beltane Blessings My Lovely Chums

This lovely Beltane image from one of my fav designers, Wendy Andrew. She can be found at www.paintingdreams.co.uk I have bought quite a f...