Tuesday 27 July 2021

Discoveries - The Museum of Making

 The Mr and I are still making discoveries in our adopted county and it's wonderful surroundings. Largely due to the fact we were renovating our house for several years and almost as we finished we were in lockdown. So on the plus side we have oodles of places to visit now. I'm particularly drawn to Yorkshire and hope to visit often. Hebden Bridge is on the top of my wish list.

We love the fact there is so much to explore and enjoy, it almost feels like being on a permanent holiday. 

Just the other week we discovered The Museum of Making, housed in an early 18th century Derby silk mill, which opened in it's present format in May 2021 after a huge refit. We went to take a look at a pop up craft fair, which in all honesty was a bit underwhelming, the museum itself though was a happy surprise. There are several floors with an enormous breadth of artifacts, from train bits and bobs, glassware, telephones, clocks, textiles and everything really that can be made. And it is FREE to get in.

This large embroidery looked to be thoroughly modern, but no. I found it quite extraordinary.





I also really loved all the interesting details surrounding The Potteries, as I'm fast becoming a collector of Staffordshire figures and also Studio Pottery, when my purse allows.




Apologies for the shonky images, taken on the hoof. I hope you can see it's a fascinating place to visit.

For an added bit of joy, here is a photo of two local donkeys, called Norris and Norman, they particularly like to eat bananas with the skins on.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Morgana Extends A Warm Welcome To My Latest Followers

100 followers and counting. Thank you all.