Saturday 28 October 2023

Beacons of Light

I do so love the glow of candles especially now the weather has turned it's driech face towards us for the foreseeable. For a long time I bought my candles from IKEA. I know the really expensive ones give off an amazing fragrance, but I don't think they are generally worth the expense. I'm mindful too of the ingredients used in candles, because some have nasties in them, I'm thinking of the really cheap ones here. I gave up on the IKEA ones last year as they didn't burn in an even manner and so were a bit wasteful. I have been buying my candles from Aldi ever since and I've been very pleased with them. At £3.99 a pop good value too. Then it suddenly dawned on me that I have a basket of tea lights languishing in our cellar. So in a bid to use up anything we don't want to take when we move house, I will be using them up, before I buy any more larger candles. I think that will save a goodly amount of money.
I've also been sorting out all the small bottles of toiletries that I have collected over the years from different trips away. You know the mini bottles of shampoo etc I have started using them up at home, again so we don't have to pack them up for the house move.

11 comments:

  1. If you pop your tea lights or candles in the freezer or fridge, once cold they burn slower, Marlene, Poppypatchwork

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have battery-operated candles. They don't smell at all, which is a minus, but they are safer, which is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course. My friend used to have the 'Harry Potter' long battery operated candles hanging from her ceiling on invisible wire, great fun.

      Delete
  3. I have a accumulated a too large stash of candles myself and should do "something" with them. I rarely burn them anymore, preferring battery-operated ones and, for scent, I use wax melts. My kitties were a bit too unpredictable to have open flames about. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily my chonky cat shows no interest, and she's too big to jump up on the mantlepiece.

      Delete
  4. We still have lots of candles left over from previous years, but I'll definitely have a look in Aldi when we've finally burned them all! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PP, I think we are all guilty of buying too many candles. I do love them on though. Scandi friends of mine have them on in the day too, very cosy.

      Delete
  5. I am very sensitive to smells but I love the idea of scented candles so I will always spent several minutes smelling candles wherever I go.. always on the hunt for that perfect scent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're still using candles which we bought for Eleanor's wedding last year. They're not scented but sometimes you just want the candlelight without the smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree, especially when using them on a dinner table.

      Delete

Beltane Blessings My Lovely Chums

This lovely Beltane image from one of my fav designers, Wendy Andrew. She can be found at www.paintingdreams.co.uk I have bought quite a f...