Monday 28 August 2023

Bank Holiday Weekend

The Mr and I have had a very nice weekend so far. Saturday we had friends round for a film night and dinner. I made a very tasty vegetarian lasagne, using roasted butternut squash instead of turkey mince which is what I usually use. I just fancied doing something different and of course the squash was only 85p so thrifty too. I added onions, garlic, courgette, carrot, celery, sweet red peppers, plum tomatoes, herbs and half a tin of baked beans that were calling me from the fridge as they didn't want to be left out. I roasted the butternut squash first in some herbed olive oil. I only used half of the squash in the lasagne sauce and kept the rest to add to a lentil soup for lunch today. It's amazing how you can use the same veg for different meals but by adding different extra things you have completely changed the texture and taste of your food. The folk who dined with us have asked for my lasagne recipe as they enjoyed it so much, so that was a rather nice compliment.
We have just harvested the Mr's onions (if you pardon the expression) and used them with our own courgettes too in the lasagne sauce. Our tomatoes however are being obstinate this year and don't seem to want to ripen. Our raspberries are just about coming through now, late as well. On Saturday we also attended our local horticultural show, it was great fun to see all the produce and some beautiful crafts as well.
This perfectly knitted blanket was the star of the show for me, unfortunately not for sale. I hope you are all enjoying the Bank Holiday and I'll probably pop back soon with the recipe for my lentil soup, the weather is feeling Autumnal at the moment and this soup is a definite warmer.

6 comments:

  1. There are some very talented people around. I am in awe of them.
    Your lasagne sounds really tasty. I think we might have pasta of some sort tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely way to spend your weekend/holiday. Your lasagne also sounds lovely. I am always up for trying something new, but not as willing to experiment as you. That blanket is beautiful. I can't imagine the time that went into that. I am looking forward to your soup recipe. Soup is one of my most favorite things. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your vegetarian lasagne sounds very tasty indeed. Such a pity my Mr. isn't keen on lasagne ...
    The horticultural show sound lovely too ... I don't think we've got anything like that here. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The show looks brilliant, we have managed two BBQ's this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had a BBQ all Summer, such a shame. Maybe this weekend.

      Delete
  5. Your lasagne sounds delicious and how lovely to be complimented on it, it's always nice when guests appreciate the cooking. I love horticultural shows but it's quite a few years now since we've been to our local one, mainly because it's always on the weekend closest to my birthday so we're usually busy.

    ReplyDelete

Beltane Blessings My Lovely Chums

This lovely Beltane image from one of my fav designers, Wendy Andrew. She can be found at www.paintingdreams.co.uk I have bought quite a f...