Tuesday 12 April 2022

The Thrifty Plague House

 Hello chicks, how is everyone doing? 

The Mr and I have at last succumbed to the dreaded Covid. We're now on day 9 of isolating indoors. Now I'm not going to moan about it, because although we both feel a bit unwell it really has not made us feel terrible, which I'm thankful for. 

The Mr picked it up at his 'very blokey' gym, where men wander around coughing but don't cover their mouths, not macho? Anywho, as soon as he felt unwell we more or less split the house in two, but to no avail I still caught it.

On the plus side, it means my trip to Sussex in May with a girlfriend should be safe now, as she also caught the dreaded a couple of weeks ago. 

And a very nice man brought me a goodly delivery of provisions this morning, so we won't be going without. It's the first time I've used online grocery shopping and I got a generous £15 off the shop. Also, said store (Sainsbury's) have their good value deal of buy 6 bottles of wine and get 25% off. Which I happily spied flagged up on the website.

In recent months I have discovered Cremant as a fine and dandy Champagne alternative. 'The Taste The Difference' Cremant De La Loire at Sainsbury's is a very nice drop, still at £12 a bottle not cheap. I noticed it was on special offer reduced to £10.50 and of course with the 25% off on top, it comes down to a very reasonable price for a good glass of bubbles. You heard it here first. Just for the record I bought 4 bottles of Cremant and 2 Rose.

With the extra home time I have been busy freshening up some of our spaces. Fortunately I bought the chalk paint I used a few weeks back. 

Our shower room stand, which is in fact an Edwardian sideboard was last painted when we moved in 5 years ago. It has lasted well, but was starting to look a bit tired. I originally painted it in an old white chalk paint. But decided I fancied a very soft pink, Antoinette is the colour and it matches our pinkish marble hand basin very well.





I was super pleased with the colour so decided to paint my desk in my office/craft room too. It looked so nice it encouraged me to have a big spring clean in there, and it is wonderfully sparkly now. At the same time I sorted through a lot of stuff, surplus to requirement which I will now sell at our local boot fair. This should gift me some additional funds for my May trip.

I'll leave you with this gorgeous piece of embroidery, so pretty and a little bit of joy.



8 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear you've succumbed to Covid, but I'm relieved to hear your symptoms are mild. I wonder what would happen here at Dove Cottage if one of us caught it. Our house is so tiny and there's no way we can split it in two ... So far, fingers crossed, this hasn't happened.
    Your shower room stand is divine, by the way! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon the way it's going there are not many that will escape the dreaded Covid. Glad you aren't feeling too bad, I had to smile because I too painted, (our kitchen), when I had covid. Love the unit in your bathroom, lovely colour. Wishing you a speedy recovery x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Maggie, I know of so many folk who have caught covid recently. It's a mild strain so maybe it will create herd immunity and help us all move on with our lives. Thanks for your good wishes. x

      Delete
  3. Oh no! I do hope you and your Mr recover quickly....wine will definitely help....I'm certain. 🤣 I'd be out of luck as far as provisions go since we are too rural for delivery. Maybe I should stock up on wine? Your cabinet looks lovely. Beautiful embroidery on the jeans. Your work? I used to do a fair amount of that...and still have a shirt I started but never finished...somewhere. Hope you and your love recover quickly. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin, not my work, but something I may steal when inspiration strikes. x

      Delete
  4. Oh no, I hope you feel better soon. I'm glad your symptoms are mild, I suppose when you're confined to barracks, if you're not feeling too ill, it gives you the perfect opportunity to get on with some jobs you've put on the back burner for a while. Your shower room stand looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Morgana Extends A Warm Welcome To My Latest Followers

100 followers and counting. Thank you all.