Saturday 6 July 2013

High End Vintage Still Buoyant

The Kerry Taylor auction house in Bermondsey doesn't enjoy such a high profile as the big London auction houses but it still attracts some cracking lots. I have yet to get myself over there to take a squiz but happily get sent their newsletter so I can 'virtually' drool over the beautiful garments.

The first image shows a sensational Alexander McQueen for Givenchy, kimono ensemble from their most recent auction, which had an estimate of £5-8000 but sold for an eye watering £31,200, going to a major overseas museum.  

The second image is of an exquisite Chanel Summer cocktail dress 1956 (a great vintage year if I may say so). The cautious estimate was £1000-£2000 but it absolutely flew and the hammer fell at  £20,400.

If you can spare the time visiting an auction house on one of the viewing days can be great fun, especially when you have a passion for the items on sale. I must try and make their next sale, although it would be perilous to register to bid, like Oscar Wilde I can resist anything but temptation.

The next date for Vintage Fashion and Textiles is October 15th 2013.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful stuff!
    I think Vintage & Antique is selling very well at the moment, presumably for investment purposes. It's obviously a better bet than money in the bank, so don't worry about temptation!

    ReplyDelete

Beltane Blessings My Lovely Chums

This lovely Beltane image from one of my fav designers, Wendy Andrew. She can be found at www.paintingdreams.co.uk I have bought quite a f...