You could be forgiven for thinking these two pictures were taken in some lush Mediterranean city. But no ! It's Clapham Junction no less.
When I was a child it was always very exciting to visit the hallowed halls of our local department store, Arding and Hobbs. When something very special was needed or when on the rare occasion as children my brother and I were taken to see Santa Claus it was always here.
I have a fondness for the building. It was built in the late 19th century and had a bit of remodelling after a fire in the early part of the 20th century. It stands now as an Edwardian, Baroque influenced edifice.
It sadly closed its doors during covid. No longer a department store, it holds many little concessions and the top floor now houses a luxury members club. These pictures are of the roof terrace. I cannot tell you how excited I was to visit last weekend with the Mr and my brother, who still lives locally.
How as a child could I ever have imagined being on top of the roof at Arding and Hobbs? It is quite astonishing to me.
![]() |
| An early photo of the building. What history! |

No comments:
Post a Comment