Wednesday 27 March 2024

Time Travelling

On our way to Mr. Straw's house the Mr and I popped along to take a look at Clumber Park. It is a 3,800 acre estate set within Sherwood Forest. For over three hundred years it was the country estate of the Dukes of Newcastle, now looked after by The National Trust. Sadly no trace of their house remains, it was taken down in 1938. But the parkland and especially the huge glasshouse were an absolute joy to visit. The weather wasn't being very kind whilst we were there but we will visit again when the sun is shining and picnic in hand we will explore the rest of the parkland. Of course the rain couldn't put a dampener on our visit to Endcliffe Villa, the house of the Straw family. The house itself told the story of the simple and contented lives that were led there through much of the 20th century. It was a strangely moving experience, I could feel deeply the humbleness and quietness of the family that had lived there and may still be there? The family didn't live a 'big' or worldly life but I could feel the richness of their experiences. Simple, hard working and ethical folk who lived their lives well. Wish that we could all say that.

6 comments:

  1. I cannot even wrap my head around a 3,800 acre estate. I will have to search online to see if I can catch a glimpse of what the grounds looked like before the house was taken down. I absolutely love your description of your impression of Mr. Straw's house. From what I saw when I looked for photos of it previously, I had the distinct feeling it would take words away. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased you enjoyed your visit to Clumber Park and the Straw family house.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both the Clumber Estate and Mr. Straw's house sound well worth a visit. In my experience, it's the modest homes telling of ordinary lives which leave the deepest impressions. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Morgana Extends A Warm Welcome To My Latest Followers

100 followers and counting. Thank you all.