Tuesday 19 September 2023

Torre Abbey Torquay Visit

One of the places we visited whilst in Torquay was the 12th century Torre Abbey. An ancient scheduled monument founded in 1196. It is set in 18 acres of gardens, which includes an area of potent plants, (poisonous). It was the perfect setting for a talk on the poisons used in the Agatha Christie stories. Unfortunately we couldn't get tickets for that event but we did have a nice wander round. The Abbey now houses an art collection and puts on various exhibitions through the year. The 'Spanish' Barn, a huge tithe barn which sits directly next to the Abbey itself is also used for events, weddings and is the refreshment area for visitors. I felt the barn had a strange vibe about it, I couldn't help but 'feel' the wretchedness of the poor Spanish prisoners who were kept captive there. On a lighter note, parts of the Abbey have some fab interpretation areas. You can hear voices deep in discussion as you approach one of the family rooms used during the 18th century early nineteenth century, by the Carey family who lived in the Abbey as a family home from 1662 for over 300 years. As you approach the table you can see the dinner plates have talking heads on them. I loved it. Unfortunately naughty blogger wont let me load up my little film of the dining room, BAH! A very warm welcome to another follower, Susan, thank you very much for dropping by and clicking on the follow button.

6 comments:

  1. The Abbey looks quite small. I can understand your feelings about the Spanish barn - some places retain the atmosphere of fear and helplessness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That barn looks amazing. And even though it is a beautiful venue setting for a wedding, etc., I can't imagine joys great enough to erase the pain and sorrow attendant on its history. I agree with you and believe your discomfiture would be more than understandable. I would have LOVED to hear the dinner conversation!!! LOL - too funny! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dinner plates were very sweet and also very clever I thought, a wee bit magical.

      Delete
  3. It looks a beautiful place for a wedding but it's funny how some old buildings retain an atmosphere when they've been used for less happy events. A shame you couldn't load the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My blogger hs been playing up for a while now. Wont let me space out the text and when I manage to upload a photo it doesn't show me the image just a load of strange coded text, until I press preview then I can see it. Almost feels like it needs rebooting, but goodness knows how to do that without the threat of losing everything. I will make some enquiries.

      Delete
  4. Such a shame Blogger prevented you for uploading that little film.
    The interpretation areas sound like a great idea! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Beltane Blessings My Lovely Chums

This lovely Beltane image from one of my fav designers, Wendy Andrew. She can be found at www.paintingdreams.co.uk I have bought quite a f...